Monday, September 01, 2008

Tomatillos

I have three tomatillo bushed in my garden. Mom and I took a break on Sunday (me from school work, she from grading) and made tomatillo salsa. These are the tomatillos in the husks. You have to peel each tomatillo and then wash off all the sticky stuff.

I think we picked about half of the tomatillos in the garden; about 150 of them. Who knew that just three bushes can produce so MANY tomatillos!


Then we blanched the tomatillos. And yes, they really WERE that color. They look like little apples floating in the water.

Then, through the blender with a few jalapenos (1.5 hot ones) from my garden, cilantro, garlic, salt and onion.

SO yummy!

We had way too many tomatillos to make them ALL into tomatillo salsa so we did about a quarter into salsa. We froze the rest of the blended tomatillos for later. I took some of the tomatillo salsa to Les & Kathy. They really liked it, Les especially! Kathy gave me some mango salsa, homemade ice cream, homemade bread...

Hmmm, just because we made tomatillo salsa doesn't make us the better cooks!

No comments: